There can be a multitude of descriptions and definitions of the highly sensitive person. It is agreed that the highly sensitive person, or hsp for short, experiences a deeper and higher level of sensitivity and have different nervous systems than those that are not highly sensitive. Incoming information is processed and reflected upon so deeply that we are more likely to become overwhelmed and over stimulated than those who experience a lesser degree of sensitivity.
The causes of hypersensitivity are not known to be biological, but rather an evolutionary trait inherent in a particular gene that has been with us since humans started walking this earth. There have always been people of a strong spiritual nature. We were known to be healers, saints, prophets, shamans, and philosophers – people known to be deeply rooted in their souls. We are people who are able to access wisdom, knowledge, and love that comes from the sensitivity to the world around us. Hsp are blessings to this world filled with chaos, violence, and injustice. Highly sensitive people have access to parts of their brain that others might not experience. Hsp use over 10% of their brain and filter out less reality through the optic nerve, so more reality is experienced. Hsp notice energy fields and chakras can sometimes be seen. According to Dr. Elaine Aron, who wrote the revolutionary The Highly Sensitive Person, hsp take up 15 to 20% of the human population. The following are some common traits:
- Ability to perform deep processing of information.
- Picks up on subtle details while in the learning process.
- Are not able to learn effectively when over aroused.
- Are known to be thoughtful, sentimental, and loyal.
- Are able to accomplish tasks with great accuracy, detail, and speed.
- Gets more affected by caffeine and other stimulants.
- Can stay still for a longer period of time than others.
- Has more right brain activity.
- Creative by nature.
- Highly imaginative.
- Takes time to come out from the effect of some kind of stimulus.
- Can understand human emotions more deeply than others.
- Does not give their best while being watched.
- Tends to mix less with others.
- Does better work when the environment is relaxed, calm, and quiet.
- Prefers to feel and experience quietly by themselves.
- Are great organizers.
- Are more loyal and hardworking than others.
- Strongly compassionate and caring.
- Are inclined towards spirituality.
- Strong aesthetic sense.
- More in tune with nature and elemental forces.
- Notices subtleties in appearances, physical sensations, and placement of objects.
- Prefers to work and play quietly.
- Asks deep thought-provoking questions.
- Gets easily disturbed by noise.
- Reads the moods of others with great accuracy.
So as you can see by this long list of information the perception of things are magnified; therefore, the feelings and emotions are stronger in a hsp. The hsp can strongly benefit from yoga, meditation, chanting, and/or deep breathing exercises. Because the hsp is prone to become over stimulated and stressed it is of the utmost importance that coping techniques be learned and applied. We are more sensitive to chemicals; therefore, a diet as free from chemicals, preservatives, and dyes should be sought. We are more inclined to sleep disturbances so leading a disciplined life of proper sleep and relaxation is crucial.
Hsp are more open to negative fields. We absorb people’s negative energy and emotional toxins. We can feel a person’s psychic chaos very easily. Physical symptoms can show in us such as chronic colds, allergies, sinus troubles, headaches, sore throats, stomach upset, and breathing difficulties. On a positive note, we are just as open to a person’s positive field. Which is why it is imperative for us to surround ourselves with healthy, loving people. Children who are hs are particularly sensitive to energy fields and are strongly susceptible to the physical ailments.